Blogging Buddies

Follow Me

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, 14 February 2014

A Special Keepsake

Good morning my lovely crafty friends.
Hope you are keeping well and those not I wish well soon.
Today I have something a little different to share with you.

Aaron telephoned me the other day when he was out doing his rounds (he's a postman) and asked me if I could make something for his work colleague to give to his wife whose Mum had passed away recently.
He wanted something made using the poem from Hayley's funeral in Coronation street.
So with some very brief details from Aaron I set off to 'find' said poem - Google is a genius!!!

The poem was written by Mary Elizabeth Frye in 1932 when a Jewish friend who was staying with her in Baltimore at the time was upset that she hadn't had the chance to 'stand by her Mother's grave and shed a tear' because of the increasing anti-Semitic unrest in Germany at the time. 
It was the first poem she had ever written and only circulated it privately and never copyrighted it.

So with even less detail on what he wanted the end result to be this is what I came up with:




It is a really beautiful poem and I was quite pleased with the end result.
I am also thrilled to report that Aaron's work colleague loved it.
The funeral is today and he plans to give this to his wife a Special Keepsake.
I hope she can find some comfort in the words.

Challenges I would like to enter:

4 Krafty Girlz - Anything Goes
Aud Sentiments - BINGO (No Patterned Paper, 3D item, Texture)
Creative Moments - Anything Goes
Penny's Paper Crafty - Monochrome
Wordart Wednesday - Anything Goes
Creative Card Crew - 'KISS'- Keep it Sweet and Simple
All Crafts Challenge - Anything But a Card
Through the Purple Haze - Anything Goes
Eclectic Ellapu - From the Heart
Totally Gorjuss - Sentiment as Main Focus

Thanks for popping by to see me today - it is always great to see you here and I love to hear from you.

Have a wonderful day.
I have a date with my little Crafty Haven - well what else is a girl to do when the weather is so pants!!!

TTFN

35 comments:

Jane Savage said...

Elegant, dignified and exquisite, Debs. xx

Karen Letchworth said...

This is really beautiful. I feel so very blessed to have you share this in our challenge. It really touched me, and I thank you SO MUCH for allowing us to share this special project with you. Thanks for joining us this week, and please stop by again soon.
God bless!
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Judith said...

This is just lovely Debs - the poem is so comforting and such a pretty uplifting design - I like to make "pretty" sympathy cards rather than "black edged" serious ones - I think its far nicer. I made a pretty floral one for a friend who lost her mother lately - after the funeral she was showing everyone and saying how much she appreciated it - its lovely when a card does what its supposed to - I'm sure this will have the same effect hugs Judith x

Mau xx said...

What lovely idea Debs,beautifully created too.
I have had a few friends use this lovely poem for their loved ones funerals over the years and its beautiful.
Hugs Mau xx

Debbie said...

Hi Debs.
This is very nice. I use these Framed Shadow Boxes alot and people love them.
When my Nana died at Christmas my Mum received some lovely cards with this type of poem and my Mum really liked them, your poem choice is so nice. debbiex

Sarah said...

What an lovely creation Debs, albeit for a sad occasion, I'm sure the lady in question will find comfort in the words. xx

JANINE QUINN MIDDLESBROUGH, UK said...

I had to drop by and say this is so beautiful Deb. I love the poem and how you've presented it - so delicate and pretty. just gorgeous. Hugs Janine X

http://craftingcrackers.blogspot.co.uk/

JANINE QUINN MIDDLESBROUGH, UK said...

Sorry Deb, I forgot to mentioned that I was part of the Totally Gorjuss DT and thank you for taking part in our Sentiment challenge this week. Good luck. Janine x

DesignerDiva said...

This is beautiful Debs, what a lovely keepsake.
I'm familiar with this poem, my friend read this out at her nephews funeral and we were all in floods!
hugs Laurie xx

Sharon said...

Thanks for joining our Sentiment as Main Focus challenge at TG this week Debs. I just love this creation. How sweet of you. I am sure the recipient is going to treasure this for ever. hugs Sharon x

Sue said...

This is stunning Debs, it is indeed a beautiful poem. I love the delicate flowers you have added, the design is so elegant.
I hope you have a good weekend.
hugs Sue xx

Claire said...

Well with such a small brief you have produced a fantastic keepsake that they will love. Well done you. Have a lovely weekend hun. Keep warm and stay dry! Hugs, Claire x

Karen Murray said...

This is so beautiful! What a wonderful keepsake that I am sure will be a blessing for a long time to come.

Craftin Suzie (Susan Flynn) said...

Hi Debs I have seen this poem before and it is really touching. You have made a beautiful keepsake for his wife and I am sure it will mean a lot to her. Susan xx

Hazel (Didos) said...

Oh Debs this is stunning and what a wonderful creation for them, Thats so kind of you to make it, Sending Big Hugs Hazelxox

cotnob said...

This is absolutely beautiful Debs, such a moving poem and lovely elegant design.
It brought tears to my eyes, we lost my Dad last month and this poem is so touching and comforting.
Pauline
x

cheryl Baker said...

oh gosh,hun this is just so dignified,and really beautiful,the poem,is just so comforting too,really beautiful hun hugs Cherylxxxx

susiestacey said...

So beautiful Debs first time l have seen the poem x Susan x

shampylou30 said...

Stunning. Thanks for joining us at creative moments challenge xxxxx

Marianne's Craftroom said...

You met the brief so well, this is exquisite

Kelly Lloyd said...

This is stunning debs. A wonderful keepsake x

Christine L said...

Such a beautiful keepsake for her... and will provide comfort, I'm sure.

Christine x

Erin Bentley said...

What a gorgeous project. Thank you for joining our Challenge at Craft my life this month.

Hugs Erin DT x

Erin Bentley said...

What a gorgeous project. Thank you for joining our Challenge at Craft my life this month.

Hugs Erin DT x

Tammy said...

OMGosh Debs, I absolutely love this creation! What a wonderful, comforting poem and such gorgeous details! It will be treasured for sure.
Hugs, Tammy

Sandy said...

Your framed poem looks stunning. A wonderful keepsake for the man's wife.
Thanks for sharing with us at Aud Sentiments Challenge,
Hugs,
Sandy

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

Simply beautiful, Debs.
Caroline xxx

verybellemakes said...

Beautiful. Such a personal tribute to offer a friend at a sad time in their life.

Thank you for joining the Crafty Girls Challenge, hope to see you again very soon.

Victoria DT

Aluna said...

Beautiful project. Thank you for joining us at Creative Card Crew challenge. Good luck, Joanna DT

coops said...

so beautiful debs.i`m sure the verse will give comfort at such a sad time.

xx coops xx

Katie Stringer said...

Such a beautiful creation. It needs to be placed somewhere very special
Thanks for joining in this week at Pennys Paper Crafty Challenge
Hugs katie x

mixamatoasties said...

Beautiful.

xxx

sparkling stamper said...

This is absolutely exquisite. I needed to see this today as I have 2 longtime friends, one old, one not so old, that are terminal and I am having difficulty dealing with this. A wonderful reminder to put things in perspective. Thanks for sharing with Aud Sentiments and meeting my need, as well.

kathy b

Mrs A. said...

This is a really beautiful keepsake which I'm sure will be much treasured. Thank you for sharing with us at Craft My Life challenge. Hugs Mrs A. (DT.)

alex said...

Truly beautiful, thank you for joining us at Creative Moments
Alex